In medical terms coughing up blood is known as hemoptysis. The patient may cough up bright red blood in a small amount of frothy blood-streaked phlegm. Blood comes from the lungs, and it is the result of prolonged coughing or any chest infection. Bronchiectasis can also cause blood in the cough. It is not an alarming situation for the smoker and also harmful for especially older people.
Natural remedies are used to relieve cough. For the treatment of bloody cough, we can use different herbal home remedies such as honey tea and ginger and more fluid intake.
- Causes of Bloody Cough:
It is a common condition but can have many causes. Some causes can be very serious for the person. This condition is not the same as blood in the vomit. It looks bubbly and mixed with the mucus. The color can be red or rust and in small amounts. While in the vomiting condition, a large quantity of blood expels from the mouth. Following are the causes of Coughing Blood:
- Presence of blood clot in the lungs
- Pulmonary aspiration
- Excessive and violent coughing
- Use of Blood thinners
- Complications from lupus
- Pulmonary Embolism
- Congestive Heart Failure
- Complications of Coughing Blood
A coughing blood situation can be very dangerous and even life-threatening. It can lead to many serious complications like:
- Severe Blood Loss
- Aspiration Pneumonia
- Home Remedies for Coughing up Blood
Following are the coughing up blood home remedies:
- If you are diagnosed with a respiratory infection as the cause of coughing blood. Following are the home remedies that can make you feel better:
- If you are a smoker, it is very important to avoid smoke and airway irritants such as perfume, cleaning sprays. Other kinds of irritants can trigger the coughing condition with an increase in mucus production.
- You can use cough suppressants. Antitussive medicines can suppress the cough reflex. These medicines can be helpful if you are coughing up blood due to a heavy coughing condition. However, you need a proper consultation from your doctor before using them.
- It is essential to take extra fluids. Drink plenty of water. It helps you to thin mucus. Other choices of fluids are hot tea, sports or any electrolyte drink. Fluid can helps to soothe a cough.
- A steamy shower can help you to open and drain airways. When you are breathing, a humidifier will keep moisture in that air. Use humidity is the best option to prevent this condition.
- Herbal Treatments for Coughing Blood
Following are the herbal treatments that we can use to cure and prevent blood in the cough.
4.1 Essential Oils:
Essential oils can be used to ease breathing and to lose mucus in the chest. Some essential oils may even stop the bacteria growth that infecting the respiratory tract. Following is the list of beneficial essential oils:
- Cinnamon bark
- Tea tree
You can also inhale these essential oils directly from the bottle that can be used in a diffuser, or you can add in hot water in a steam inhalation. You can mix a quarter cup of coconut oil with 12 drops of one or more essential oils like oregano and thyme. Apply the mixture to your chest. Never use it on irritated skin. It is one of the best home remedies for blood in the cough.
4.2 N-acetylcysteine (NAC):
This supplement can be used to thin the mucus and reduced the severity and frequency of the cough. Patients suffering from chronic bronchitis can 600 mg of NAC daily if airway obstruction is not present. If you have airway obstruction, then you may need to take up to 1200 mg daily.
4.3 Foods and Herbs
Foods that are commonly used to ease cough problems and a buildup of mucus include:
- Spices such as chili pepper
- Honey, chicken soup, eggs are the best natural remedies for sore throat and cough.
Following list of foods that can help you to treat respiratory viruses. These kinds of viruses are responsible for excess mucus and blood in the cough:
- Licorice root
People can use zinc and ginger supplements to cure this condition that is easily available in the market. Ajmal Unani medicine is hundred per cent natural and effective for coughing and blood in cough
- Therapeutic Approach
Hemoptysis treatment considerably may vary. It ranges from management of outpatient to intensive care unit admittance. Optimal management choices depend on the bleeding intensity and underlying cardiorespiratory severity status. Mild hemoptysis is handled on an outpatient basis by the use of antibiotics. While, for the severe cases, for diagnostic and therapeutic workup, hospitalization is required. With related blood products, blood abnormalities must be corrected. Tranexamic acid acts as an antifibrinolytic agent by inhibiting plasminogen activation.
- Herbal recipes for Hemoptysis treatment
Following are the herbal recipes that we can use for blood in cough home treatment.
- Six hundred sixty grams of Gotu kola with 60 grams of fresh weeds’ fresh roots and 30 grams of fresh plant urang-aring. You need to wash all ingredients and boiled with 800 cc of water until it remains 400 cc. Strain the solution and drink it two times a day. Add three petals, hibiscus in 15 grams of rose, 15 grams of chicken’s comb flower, and add rock sugar for the taste. Tim all the ingredients and drink the water.
- Thirty grams of hibiscus flower hedgehog with 60 grams of leaf carriage. You need to wash all the ingredients. Boil with 800 cc of water until it remains to 400 c. Strain the solution and drink it two times a day.
- Taste Lotus root. Rinse lotus root until the juice is collected up to 200 cc. Then up to 5 days, drink two times a day regularly.
A bloody cough is very dangerous for health, and it can cause many complications. Therefore we should treat it on time and should use natural home remedies for cough treatment and prevention of bloody cough.