Changes to dependent privileges for E Pass and S Pass Singapore holders

A lot of people are aiming to get a work visa in Singapore. That is because of the many privileges gained by an E Pass Singapore holder, as well as an S Pass holder. An E Pass or S Pass Singapore holder is free to rent and even buy certain properties in Singapore as long as they meet the conditions. They can also apply for permanent residency once they complete a year of living and working in Singapore along with the other PR status conditions. Furthermore, you can bring your family with you to live in Singapore through the dependent privileges.

The Ministry of Manpower is the one that issues these dependency privileges. That is why they are the ones that set the conditions for these privileges. If you are thinking of applying for the E Pass Singapore scheme or the S Pass with the thought of being able to bring your family to Singapore one day, there are things that you need to know about. That is why in this article, we will cover the recent changes that occurred to dependent privileges for E Pass and S Pass Singapore holders.

Changes to the dependent privileges eligibility

As mentioned, the Ministry of Manpower is the one that sets the conditions and criteria for the dependency privileges. That is why they also have the authority to make some changes as they see fit. The most recent change that they implemented took effect in 2018. That is what we’ll be discussing in this portion of the article on S Pass and E Pass Singapore dependency privileges.

SG$6,000 for the Dependent’s Pass

The Dependent’s Pass is the visa tied to the E Pass or S Pass Singapore visas that permits the immediate family members of the foreign worker to live with him or her in Singapore. This is given to the legal wife or husband of the foreign worker and their children under 21 years old. Previously, the E Pass Singapore holder or the S Pass holder must have a salary of SG$5,000 to be eligible to get a Dependent’s Pass. However, now, the qualifying salary is raised to SG$6,000.

SG$12,000 for the Long Term Visit Pass for parents

Another dependency privilege that the E Pass or S Pass Singapore holder is entitled to is the Long Term Visit Pass. This pass is given to the worker’s common-law partner, stepchildren under 21 years of age, and parents. However, there is a special requirement for E Pass Singapore holders or S Pass holders that will bring their parents to Singapore. They have a separate qualifying salary that has now been raised to SG$12,000.

Who will be affected?

Like any other changes, there are those that will be affected. In the case of the dependency privileges, the dependents of the E Pass and S Pass Singapore workers will be affected. In this section of the article, we will discuss who will be subjected to be evaluated with the new eligibility criteria for dependency privilege.

New applicants

New applicants are the first that will have to follow through with the changes. This means that those applying for the E Pass Singapore scheme or the S Pass will have to meet the SG$6,000 qualifications to apply for the Dependent’s Pass. This is most applicable to those that applied for the work visas in 2018 and after.

Renewing applicants

As for renewing S Pass Singapore workers or E Pass workers, there are two scenarios with different results. If the foreign worker renews their pass with the same employer and has applied for the pass before 2018, they are subjected to the old conditions. This means that the employer is not obliged to raise their salaries or have the existing dependents lose their passes.

However, if the E Pass Singapore worker or S Pass worker is renewing but with a new employer, he or she is subjected to the new policy. In this case, if they get a salary lower than what is required, the dependents will lose the validity of their passes. However, they can apply for a work visa if they are working in Singapore or a study visa if they are studying so they can remain in Singapore.

Similar to applying for the S Pass Singapore visa or the E Pass, the Dependent’s Pass and the Long Term Visit Pass have requirements that one must fulfill. In addition, it is the employer that will have to apply for these dependency privileges on behalf of the foreign worker. Thus, the foreign worker must meet the qualifying salary to obtain dependency privileges. If you are looking for assistance with anything related to work passes, have Ren Ai Group help you. Visit their website for more information.