The ATO or Australian Taxation Office delivered a cautionary letter to 17,700 SMSF trustees. The letter was directed towards trustees who have over 90% of the funds invested on just one asset. All the trustees receive a reminder that the penalty of $4,200 will get added to the diversification, liquidity, and return that are not addressed. The SMSF Perth or self-managed super fund has transformed into the retirement vehicle of choice for all Australians.
Currently, there are over 591,981 funds, which belong to 1,115,790 members. The value of these assets is said to stand close to $673-billion. They are also growing pretty faster than the mandated contributions made to the super accounts.
Things to know about the superannuation industry
The superannuation industry in Australia is experiencing rapid growth. In 2014, the superannuation funds increased to 15.3%, which is a total of $1.85-trllion. In 2013, the assets that fall under the industry funds to 21.5%. The small funds, which include, SMSF increased by 15.5%. The public sector funds also received an increase of 15.4%, along with corporate funds assets and retail fund assets increased by 9.1% and 13.9%, respectively.
The superannuation industry has become a crucial component of the Australian economy. There will be several changes in the way how the superannuation funds get leveraged. The Australian government might utilize this particular investment pool to support the infrastructure growth of the country. Superannuation will continue to grow as an essential component of the individual’s savings.
People can conduct their superannuation estate planning correctly because of the increase in financial knowledge. This permits individuals to engage themselves within their superannuation. The changes in the superannuation sector will bring in plenty of changes within the areas. Some of the areas are system administration and product design.
Why SMSF is the right investment for the future?
Many reasons make SMSF stand out as the best investments for the future. To know what they are, check the information below.
- Borrowing: New rules are allowing all SMSFs to borrow. This means you can aim towards massive properties and also implement a particular strategy. It will provide added benefits and flexibilities to the SMSFs over an industry or retail super fund.
- Minimization of Tax: The superannuation funds will provide you to obtain a tax-free pension stream. This stands out as one of the biggest incentives that will enable you to keep all your funds within the superannuation ecosystem. You can also take help from the professional SMSF accountants and learn more about tax minimization.
- Control on Tax: The biggest reason to invest in SMSF is due to its flexibility and control. You can exert over the tax position within the fund. With the help of timing and structuring of the pension and titling the investment strategies, the tax will get reduced. Many retirement-phased individuals can claim their refunds from the Australian Taxation Office to receive extra credit.
- Tax benefits for estate planning: You will also receive plenty of tax benefits. It means you can use utilize the strategies, such as the Future Service Benefit Deduction. Doing so will enable each of their family members to receive massive tax benefits. This is only possible when a family member passed away.
- Superannuation Estate Planning: You will receive many estate planning benefits. They are made from the superannuation system and also through SMSF. Before you conduct SMSF estate planning, you need to check that your will does not carry superannuation benefits, unless you nominate this particular option. With the help of SMSF, you can design a strategy, which will help you receive all the crucial tax outcomes. You can also structure tax-effective income streams for all the dependant beneficiaries. Doing so will help that individual receive care even after your death.
What are some of the benefits of SMSF?
There is a list of benefits that you will find under self-managed super funds or SMSF, and some of the most important ones are listed below.
- The accountability: Being a member and a trustee will give you the chance to know how the super funds are invested. You will also learn how good their performance is. But this will not be the case for retail or industry super funds because all the investment funds are aggregated and will not release after several months. A qualified SMSF expert will take help of software. Do so will help you monitor the value of your super funds regularly. It will also provide you with updated information whenever you require it. Doing so will help you manage your funds and track down the results of your decisions.
- Protect from the creditors: Creditors do not have the power to access a person’s superannuation. This will only happen when the clawback laws apply when an individual has transferred their funds to an SMSF account to avoid paying the creditors.
- Expenses for operating the funds: SMSFs were used only by wealthy people. But in today’s world, the SMSFs have become much more cost-effective because of the competition among the service providers and advanced technology. The level of expert support that you will engage, will help in determining how much cost is associated with operating the SMSF.
The majority of the operational cost is fixed, and when there is a growth within the fund’s value the costs will lessen. But it’s pretty different within the retail and industry super funds. It’s because the cost is taken in the form of a percentage for the overall balance.
When it comes to SMSF investment, it will be better for the investors to plan out an investment strategy. They need to make sure that it matches with the SMSF rules and the investment standards. Before you plan for the investment, take the help of an accountant who is licensed and qualified enough to give you advice on this matter. Choose an advisor who has the ASIC or Australian Securities and Investment Commission license. When you opt for the investment plan, it will help in determining the overall portfolio of your investment.